- 3 tbsp butter, melted
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 1/2 oz Parmesan cheese, grated (about 2/3 cup)
- 1 (8 oz) slice deli ham (1/2 in. thick)
- 1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 bag (16 oz) frozen cheese-filled tortellini
- 1 can (14.5 oz) chicken broth
- 1 bag (6 oz) fresh baby spinach leaves
- Combine butter and flour in Classic Batter Bowl; whisk until smooth. Add pressed garlic and milk to butter mixture; whisk well. Microwave, covered, on HIGH 3-4 minutes or until thickened, stirring every 60 seconds. Add cheese; whisk until smooth. Dice ham using Chef’s Knife. Add ham and black pepper to batter bowl. Mix well using Small Mix ‘N Scraper®; set aside.
- Combine tortellini and broth in Deep Covered Baker. Microwave, covered, on HIGH 12-15 minutes or until tortellini are tender, stirring every 4-5 minutes. Add cheese sauce to baker; mix well. Microwave, covered, on HIGH 2-3 minutes or until heated through. Stir in spinach; cover and let stand 2-3 minutes or until spinach is wilted.
6 servings of
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 330, Total Fat 14 g, Saturated Fat 7 g, Cholesterol 55 mg, Carbohydrate 33 g, Protein 21 g, Sodium 1290 mg, Fiber 4 g
U.S. Diabetic exchanges per serving:
2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 medium-fat meat (2 carb)
If desired, 1 1/2 cups frozen vegetables such as thawed peas can be substituted for the spinach. Add to baker with cheese sauce; proceed as recipe directs.
To cook on the stovetop, melt butter over medium heat in (2-qt.) Saucepan. Stir in flour. Add milk and garlic. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly; cook 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Add cheese, ham and black pepper. Combine tortellini and broth in (12-in. Skillet). Cover; bring to a simmer over high heat and cook 3 minutes. Add ham mixture; mix well. Stir in spinach; cover and let stand 2-3 minutes or until spinach is wilted.